Friday, August 26, 2011

O.C.P.- Organizationaly Compulsive Personality

I would not say that I am a neat freak.   I like things organized, tidy, and in order.  I am not over the top about it, because life happens and things do get a little out of hand. Case in point last night. 

I looked around our house as I was eating supper and noticed that the place was completely destroyed.  Toys everywhere, papers all over the counter, empty boxes from various Pampered Chef deliveries, un-opened junk mail.....the list goes on.   

So I asked Peter to help me  pick up after supper.  I started out by doing the dishes and he began picking up various toys and what not and finding homes for things.  Towards the end of our cleaning spree, once the vacuum was put away and we were starting to get our relaxation groove on, I noticed that Carter's wooden puzzles were on the coffee table with only a couple pieces in them.   I knew right away where the rest of the pieces were.  In the course of picking up the toys Peter had simply thrown them into the toy basket instead of putting back into the puzzle.  



My sometimes dormant O.C.P. kicked into high gear and there was no way that I could relax until I dumped the toy basket out and hunted down every last piece.    

As I am in the process of dumping the basket Peter came in  and stared at me. 

I said, "I have to find the puzzle pieces.  We don't just throw them in here.  I can't handle it." 

He responds, "OK" , turns and walks downstairs.  It was not the first time he has encountered me in a situation like this.

I admit that I have a small O.C.P. problem and things like that bug me.  I don't want to try to fix this because, I like being organized and knowing where things are.  "A place for everything and everything in it's place"......not always the gold standard at our house, but we get what we get. 


It may not matter to some people that there is a separate rubber tote with decorations for every holiday. It matters to me.  I know that when it is time to decorate for Halloween all I have to do is get out the tote marked Halloween and in a matter of minutes I will be done.  (It's a longer process with Christmas as there are like 7 totes...............yeah I roll like that.)


So this is a shout out to all the people with an O.C.P. problem like mine. 

Proud to be O.C.P

It's a badge of honor.  Wear it proudly! 


  

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I have a tote for every Holiday, and I even go so far as to have a small tote for each stage of my children's clothes (0-6 months, 6-12 months, boys-girls) I like to say I am haphazardly organized, sometimes it may not seem like everything is put together to everyone else, but I know where every single thing is in my house :-)

    Rock the OCP!

    ReplyDelete