Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Burnt chops and bumped noggins

The other day when I was off work, I got some pork chops out of the freezer.  Big beautiful 1/2 thick chops still on the bone.  When they were thawed, I poured BBQ sauce over them and let them stew in their juices for a while.   I was going to be playing sand volleyball that evening so I wanted things to be easy to get ready.

Peter arrived home and was put on Dad duty so that I could cook un-interupted.  The grill was started and hot, so I turned the flame down , threw the meat on, then got busy on the side dishes.   While in my peaceful cooking coma, I heard squeals of laughter coming from the bedroom. One of my favourite sounds in the world.  It took me moments to guess that they were playing the "Daddy will catch you" game.  

Basic rules of the "Daddy will catch you"  game. 
1. Daddy sits/ kneels on the floor next to the bed.
2. Carter head dives off the bed.
3. Daddy catches Carter.
4. Carter laughs, Daddy laughs...everyone is happy.

I told Peter maybe that was not such a good game to teach him.....but boys will be boys.   

Several minutes go by and I figure it's time to check the meat.  

Flames.

Bright red, orange, with yellow edges flames.

The porkchops now resemble hockey pucks and there is no way to salvage any part of them.  I trudge back in the house, defeated by the grill to see what else we have. 

As I enter I hear the soft, hiccoughing cry of a little boy.   The basic rules of the game were not followed.  Instead, it went something like this.  

1. Carter takes a little break.
2. Daddy decides to put some clothes away. 
3.Carter head dives off the bed. 
4. Daddy does not catch Carter.....Daddy is nowhere near Carter. 
5. Carter hits the floor and does a sumersault. 
6.Carter cries, Daddy scopps Carter up off the floor......no one is happy.  
7. Carter gives Daddy the evil eye for the next 20 minutes.

You will notice the additional steps in what happened and the deviation from the original steps of the game.


Carter is fine.  Daddy will recover.  We ate sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment