Thursday, September 8, 2011

2.5# Burrito

Food is my friend.

I have a really great relationship with food.

In fact I would say I love food. 

It brings me nourishment when my body needs it, joy when I am able to share it with others, and comfort when I am feeling down.

While that last one is not the greatest reason to love food, it is present even though it should not be,  and I do not deny it.

Today we had Q'doba catered to us at work.  Food being brought in is a common occurrence in our office.  The vendors of the amazing cancer fighting drugs like to treat us.......daily.  Today was burritos, taco salads, chips, salsa, and brownies.  

After lunch one of the doctors I work with got onto a scale and then someone handed him one of the burritos. 

He got off and turned around to our expectant faces.

I asked, "How much?"

He responded smiling, "2.5 pounds."

"Oh my lord!"  I exclaimed.  Yes, I had eaten an entire burrito.

I rocked that burrito.

I rocked it to sleep in my belly.

He laughed.

I said "Can you see the guilt on my face?"

He laughed, then said, "Well I had a burrito, a salad, chips and salsa."

It only made me feel a little better. 

I love food. 

 However, I have an issue with portion sizing.  I think most of America does. I blame this on the restaurants who serve ginormous portions to Americans who grew up learning to clear our plate because "there are starving kids in China."  (No joke I was told this at the dinner table, sorry Peter.)   Then our bellies grow accustomed to having that much food when really we only need to eat as much as we can fit into he palm of our hand.

I watched the movie "You again"  the other day. In the movie one of the characters is on a fad diet that you blind-fold yourself and rely on your gut to tell you when you are full rather than your eyes.  The character claimed to have lost almost 10 pounds in a few weeks.  

I wonder if that would work.  I can imagine the incredible mess it would make. 

The point is that I know I need to think more about portion sizing when I am getting my plate.  More times than not my "eye are bigger than my tummy". 

I will now go on a walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment