Friday, August 17, 2012

Eco Friendly

In an effort to be Eco friendly we have changed a few things around our home.  It takes some getting used to some of the changes you can make, but in the end I think they have been worth it.



I have purchased several hard plastic reusable to go cups over the last year.  They have lids and straws making them relatively spill proof....unless your a toddler drinking out of it.  I use them daily. They have allowed me to make healthier choices and drink more water.  In the last couple months I have dropped and broken 3 of my cups and this makes me sad.


Flip Day Pack: Organic<br>2 One-Size Diaper Covers<br>6 Organic Inserts

When Carter was born we started out using  disposable diapers.  I attended a weekly moms group where several of the moms used cloth diapers.  I was intrigued It was not something I had even considered until I saw how easy they were.  So after a lot of negotiations with Peter and research into the different types of diapering systems out there we made the switch.   We have been using the Bum Genius Flip system since Carter was 4 months old.  Even with cloth there are times when you will want/need the disposable option, such as if they are sick and need an antibiotic that could cause tummy issues or when traveling.  The cool thing about the flip system is that they make disposable biodegradable inserts that cost comparably what a regular disposable would.  These have come in handy for us on more than one occasion.  While we have not taken the plunge into cloth wipes, and probably never will, the choice to cloth our wee one has been a good one.


The latest change we have made in our home is no more paper towels.  We now have a stash of cut up old t-shirts that act as our paper towels.  These are also great when I want to do a quick surface cleaning.  I throw a handful into a tub, add warm water and dish soap to soak them, and viola instant "Clorox cleaning cloths".   We keep a bin on the dryer that we put the used ones in and throw them in the wash  when its full.  This is saving us money and allowing us to do a small part to decrease our paper waste. 


We also recylce as much as we can through Recyclelink.  We can throw everything into one bin without sorting  and we earn points on the poundage we recycle for rewards.   It may not seem like much but just a few small changes can make a difference.

What does your family do that is Eco friendly?    




 

No comments:

Post a Comment