Thursday, September 20, 2012

From the Mouths of Babes

Carter has reached that age where being taken by surprise by what he says is common.   It's an endearing quality that all children have.  They have not developed that understanding about what is appropriate to say and what is not, often times just saying whatever comes to mind.  Most of the times their quips are harmless and funny.....others, depending on your location at the time, are rather embarrassing.   I know some adults who do not have this understanding and let's face it we have all had our own "open mouth, insert foot" moments.   In our household we have had a couple of those moments in the last few weeks. 



A couple weeks ago Carter was asking for Lucky Charms.  Peter was headed to the store, so he promised to pick some up for him.  Well you know how it goes when a guy goes to the store without a list and is expected to get more that three items one will inevitably not be purchased.......but that is a whole different blog post to consider.  Long story short, no Lucky Charms were brought home.  Carter noted this and Peter said that he was sorry he forgot them.

 A couple days later on my day off we were at home and Carter came up to me and asked,"Where's daddy?"

"Remember he had to go to work today?", I said.

"Daddy get Lucky Charms?",  with the intonation and facial expression of,  he better get some lucky charms.

"Oh yeah he forgot, but we will get you some." I replied completely unable to keep a straight face.

I text Peter telling him he was in trouble.  Carter had a box of Lucky Charms brought home for him that night.




Last weekend my Mom hosted a Pampered Chef show at here house.  Carter and I went up for the weekend.  While I was in the kitchen area talking to 5 ladies about Pampered Chef products Carter was playing with his Uncle Mason.  The next thing I know Carter comes walking into the kitchen completely naked holding up his diaper and proclaims, "I'm wet!"  I felt a little embarrassed but the women got a good chuckle out of it one even making the comment to my mom that she "didn't know there was going to a stripper at this party."  I laughed and said, "Yeah, he's 2."  (Which I often say to Carter when he is being a typical 2 year old.  I just look at him and say "Yeah you're 2." Sometimes it makes him stop and look at me funny other times he just agrees with me and continues with what he was doing good or bad.)   

I am not sure what it is with children around 2 or 3 years old and not wanting to keep their clothes on.  I remember my brother Mason going through this stage.  Peter says he went through it too.......between the age of 21-24.  (sigh!)   I told him he didn't know what he was talking about, because he still likes to be naked.  

He did not deny it.





No matter how mortified we get by what comes out of our children's mouths or the odd moments they decide they want to naked, I believe it is a right of passage for parents.  We have to go through this. Besides it makes for great stories for when they are graduating, getting married, having kids of their own.  But I don't want to think about that too much.  That is a long way off and I just want to enjoy these moments as they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment